Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection is also known as ICSI, It is a process for injecting single sperm into an egg. This process take place with the help of specialized tools and inverted microscopes.
Indications of ICSI :
- Male fertility factors that include low sperm counts poor motility or low movement of sperm, poor sperm quality, sperm that lack the ability to penetrate an egg or azoospermia.
- Failure of fertilization in previous IVF statements.
- If a male partner underwent a vasectomy and sperm have been collected from testicle or epididymis
- If male partner have problem in erection and ejaculation.
- It is also used for couples who have small number of eggs at egg retrieval, to get a higher percentage of egg fertilized than when mixing eggs and sperms together.
Stimulation of ovaries is the first step in ICSI, after that doctor collects egg by using hollow needle and ultrasound guidance.If there were sperm in semen, a sperm sample can select produced by normal ejaculation on the same day of egg collection. If there is no sperm in semen doctor can extract sperm from the male partner under a local and general anesthesia. That selected sperm is transferred to uterus 2 to 3 days after fertilization. Pregnancy test should be done after 2 weeks.
Risk Factors of ICSI
- The risk of multiple births and ectopic pregnancy.
- The risk of congenital abnormalities.
- ICSI is more expensive than IVF